Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The Face Primer Handbook - Find the primer that suits you best! Both Drugstore and High End

The Face Primer Handbook

Although some people are reluctant to wear face primer and believe that it is simply just adding another layer of product to your skin, I think that using a face primer helps your makeup sit on your skin better and gives a finer finishing look. There are many sorts of primers that can be of use to people with different skin types or conditions such as; acne-prone, oily, dry,red and etc. skin.In this post, I decided to list my favorite primer (for different skin types/conditions) both high end and drugstore in hope that my readers will discover their new holy grail primer. 

Skin types and my preferred primers:

Oily

My high end pick for oily skin would be the Laura Mercier Oil-free Foundation Primer ($36). Although there are many mixed thoughts on this primer, I think that this primer does a good job of minimizing the oil (it wont %100 stop all oil but that's beyond the ability of any primer) and it is very light-weight as it is water-based, therefore, making it very light on the skin and doesn't feel like another layer of product being added to your face. This primer also makes your foundation application incredibly smooth and creates a smooth and flawless finish. The only downside would be that it is quite pricey.

As for my drugstore primer for oily skin, my top pick would be the Rimmel Stay Matte Primer ($6.49). The Rimmel Stay Matte Primer claims to be a primer that has an "Ultra lightweight formula that minimizes the appearance of pores. Controls shine for up to 8 hours creating a soft, perfectly matte complexion. Won't feel heavy or greasy," and I can assure you that it does what it says. My only complaint would be that it smells a bit odd (am I the only one?).

Dry

The Becca Backlight Priming Filter ($38) is my hands down holy grail high end primer for dry skin and even though it isn't specifically for dry skin types I feel that it is a very moisturizing primer (anyone else?) and gives a glow to those dry skinned girls and guys who lack glow. It makes my foundation stay on nicely and doesn't slip n slide. It is ALSO silicone-free for all you girls and guys who can't use silicone primers. Yet again, the downside with most high end products is that it is pricey.


My most-liked drugstore primer for dry skin would definitely be the ModelCo Face Base Skin Primer (25 AUD). (It is sold in the drugstore but it is very expensive so does that still count as a drugstore primer?) They have recently revamped the packaging, not the formula, and I think that now that it's been done I rate this primer a well deserved 9/10. It is extremely moisturizing and perfect for people with dry-skin. It makes your face super airbrushed and smooth, making the application of your foundation and makeup super easy with a perfect finish. This primer also holds your makeup for many many hours, day and night. The  negatives of this primer would be that it is silicone based making it fairly thick and, obviously, silicone-like on the face. Other negatives would be that is only available in Australia and is expensive as hell for a drugstore primer but in my opinion, it's worth the money. P.S. I would NOT recommend this for anyone with oily skin.




Sensitive(pore minimizing)

The Benefit Porefessional Primer ($31) is my HG high end primer to use when my skin is feeling sensitive, breaking out more than usual or when my pores can be seen from space! It is a balm that does a good job and filling in pores and leaves the skin feeling super smooth. It also contains vitamin E that protects and benefits the skin which is very helpful when your skin is sensitive. The porefessional is oily-free as well for all those oily girls out there! This primer gives an overall flawless finish and I can't think of any bad things to say about this primer.



A drugstore, mineral and perfecting primer that nourishes your skin and aids those with sensitive skin is the Elf Mineral Primer ($6). At only $6 this primer is superb. Once applied on the face, it minimizes pores, fills lines and gives a SUPER, I repeat SUPER smooth and silky finish. When I use this primer, the foundation glides on with so much ease and sits on my skin so nicely. The downside to this primer would be that I don't think it does much in the longevity department and thats a big part of the primers function. When using this primer, my makeup lasts roughly 3-4 hours, which is more than some would expect from a $6 primer. Overall, I think Elf nailed this primer! (AND IT COMES WITH A PUMP! which is quite rare for $6 primers)




Combination

-coming soon :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment your personal thoughts, constructive criticism, ideas, requests and questions :) Please be nice in the comments and refrain from cursing.